Srirangapatna is small town 15 km northeast of Mysore.
The island fortress of the legendary Tiger of Mysore - Tipu
Sultan, takes you through the pages of history. Every stone,
every Temple, every Palace and every Mosque in here has a
story to tell.
Srirangapatna renowned for its seemingly impregnable fort,
associated with the great ruler Tipu Sultan, is situated at
the western end of an oval shaped island formed by the two
branches of the Cauvery. It is the island fortress of Tipu
Sultan, the legendary Tiger of Mysore who put up a valiant
fight against British domination. The high stonewalls and
moats enclose palaces, with its beautiful frescoes,
Wellesley Bridge and the celebrated Sri Ranganatha Temple
are other monuments from its chequered past.
The town is famous for a very ancient temple dedicated to
Sri Ranganathaswamy, a form of Lord Vishnu. Other
attractions include the Jumma Masjid (a Mosque) and the
Daria Daulat Gardens. Near Srirangapattana is the
Rangantittu Bird Sanctuary, which is the breeding site for
several bird species, including the Painted Stork,
Open-billed Stork, Black-headed Ibis, River Tern, Great
Stone Plover and Indian Shag. The Karighatta (Black Hill)
and its temple of Lord Srinivasa is situated a few
kilometres from the town. The deity is that of Kari-giri-vasa
(one who resides on the black hill). The famous Nimishambha
temple is located in the near by district of Ganjam.The
summer palace of Tipu Sultan is also a very interesting
Located 27 km upstream from the town is the spectacular
Sivasamudram Falls, the second biggest waterfall in India
and the sixteenth largest in the world
Decription courtesy Archeological Survey of India
Place of Tipu's Death
Flag staff Cavalier
Daria Daulat Bagh
Abbe Dubois church
In the Northern rampart is a large oblong bastion in the
fort wall on the top of which was formerly placed a
heavy battery called Sultan Bateri. Within this is a
dungeon, hidden from the view. It is about 100' X 40'
and has a low vaulted brick roof. It is said that many
English prisioners were confined here.
At North-East cornerof the fort is another dungeon about
45' X 32' which is called as Irman's Dungeon who
discovered this in 1895. In this dungeon, many Maratha
and others were kept during Haider and Tipu's period as
The so called 'Malabar hut' dungeon in which many
important British officers were kept is now no more.
The secret entrance into the fort from river Cauvery.
Ranganatha Swamy Temple
Ranganatha Swamy Temple is one of the largest temples in
the state and is of great local importance (the name
Srirangapatnam is derived from it's Deity) . An
inscription dated 894 A.D reveals that a Ganga Chiefian
by name Thirumalaiah was the founder of the temple of
Sri Ranganatha. Later, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara, Mysore
Wodeyars and Haider Ali Enlarged it. The presiding deity
is the colossal image of Ranganatha reclining on
Adishesha. The inner most part of the temple was
constructed by the Hoysalas of which several granite
pillars at Sukaneshi are impressively designed shallow
domes. The Novaranga which has round bell shaped
pillars, and Mahadwara (Gopura) was built in the style
of Vijaynagara. Two pillars depicting Vishnu in 24 forms
with their names arranged are noteworthy.
Lakshminarsimha, Gangadhara and Jaina temple are other
important temples of this place.
The ruins of Tipu's Palace - Lal Mahal at Srirangapatana.
meters away from Sri Ranganatha Swamy temple is a ruined
structure identified as Tipu's Palace. It was called Lal
Mahal. Once a very beautiful structure as described by
many English historians, who visited it, was dismantled
between 1807 and 1809 by the orders of Col. Wellesley.
The spot is located near to the ruins of Lal-Mahal.
Located just behind the ruins of Lal Mahal- the official
To the north-east of Gangadhara Swamy temple, the fort
wall is pierced by a low arched Gateway known as the
Water gate. Since the residents of the northern portion
of the fort, used the gate to enter the river for thier
daily needs, it is appropriately called the Water Gate.
Place of Tipu's Death
meters to the east of Watergate, inside the second fort
line, is said to have stood another gateway which led
through the inner eastern wall, which was constructed by
Tippu Sultan inside the second line. On the 4th of May
1799 A.D., pushed back by the storming troops Tippu
moved along the second wall and descending from it near
the Watergate tried to enter the town through the second
gate. It is said that he found the gate closed.
Meanwhile the British troops who crossed over to the
third wall came along, descended into the town and
entered the gate from inside. Then Tipu was stuck
between the two advancing English forces. Fighting, he
fell down wounded. The storming troops not knowing that
Tipu was there, entered the gate and rushed towards the
When the British officers tried to trace the body of
Tipu, his dying private secretary pointed to place where
his master lay under a heap of the dead. Tipu's body was
easily identified since his face had not been disfigured
and since he had worn a well-known talisman. The body
was yet warm and was removed to the palace for the
night. It is found that the inner fortification was
razed to the ground by Col. Wellesley. Now there is a
Stone Tablet erected stating "THE BODY OF TIPPU SULTAN
WAS FOUND HERE"
Masjid-E-Ala at Srirangapatna
Jumma Masjid constructed by Tipu Sultan in 1787 A.D is a
grand structure with two lofty minarets noted for their
majesty and grace. The hall of the mosque has a number
of foil arches and mihrab on the west. Cornices and
floral bands adore the shafts of the minars. A flight of
about 200 steps leads to the top of each minars. There
are fine persian inscriptions-one mentions the date of
the construction and others, the extracts from the Holy
Bangalore Gate - Entrance to Srirangapatna town
Bangalore gate formerly known as the Ganjam Gate, is
also designated as the Elephant Gate. Built of stone,
brick and lime mortar, it is now used as the main gate
to the town.
Flag staff Cavalier
Flag staff Cavalier located at the highest spot in
Daria Daulat Bagh
The Daria Daulat Bagh, which is an ancient monument of
national importance, houses the museum. The museum
exhibits confined to the ground floor of the palace and
mostly pertaining to Tipu Sultan, consists of oil
paintings, pencil sketches, aquatints and engravings,
coins and medals, costumes, furniture, arms, etc.
The storming of ‘Seringapatam’ an oil painting by Sir
Robert Ker Porter in 1800 is one of the great historical
paintings depicting the final capture of Srirangapatna
on 4th May 1799. Many English officers like General
Baird, Sgt. Graham, Col. Dunlop are featured in it.
Tipu’s men are on the bridge offering stiff resistance.
In the back ground behind the fort walls are part of
Tipu’s palace, the minarets of the mosque and the gopura
of the Ranganatha Swami temple.
A portrait of Tipu Sultan depicts him wearing a turban,
a striped shirt. A necklace, a girth belt and a
stone-studded cross belt to which is attached a sword.
The artist was G.F. Cherry who painted it in 1792.
Another full portrait of Tipu Sultan as prince painted
by John Zoffany in 1780is on display.
Another historical painting by Robert Home, painted
between 1792-95 depicts Tipu’s sons Abdul Khaliq and
Maizuddin, the hostage princes with Ghulam Ali Khan, the
Vakil of Tipu who is shown seated in a carrying chair
and in the background an Englishman, most probably,
Captain Kennaway the personal secretary to Lord
Cornwallis is shown as having a discussion with Ali Raza
Khan another Vakil of Tipu holding a treaty document.
There are eighteen pencil sketches on display and among
them are those of the seven sons of Tipu Sultan Fateh
Haider, Abdul Khaliq, Maizuddin, Mohiuddin, Yasin Sahib,
Sultan Sahib and Shukrullah his Vakils ghulam Ali Khan
and Ali Raza Khan – Commanders Ghulam Ali Khan, Badruz
Zaman Khan, Sheikh Hussain, his companion and
confidential servant Raja Khan and the senior door
keeper Firuz Saut. Also on display are the sketches of
Mir Alam, Minister of Nizam, his son Mir Dauran, Krishna
Raja Wodeyar III and his maternal uncle, Nandi Raja.
These portrait sketches were drawn by Thomas Hickey the
English artist, between 1799-1801 in Srirangapatna and
Some of the soldiers of the East India Company were
talented artists who drew views of forts, buildings and
scenery as seen from their encampments. The pictures
drawn on spots were later used for making engravings and
aquatints so that a large number of copies were made.
Two copies of engravings, ‘Cornwallis receiving the
hostage princes’ and the ‘last effort of Tipu Sultan’ in
defense of Srirangapatna besides many aquatints
depicting the various forts of Tipu Sultan.
Coins of various denominations on view include Double
paisa, Paisa, Half paisa, Quarter paisa and One-eighth
paisa issued by Tipu Sultan from different mints at
Bangalore, Calicut, Chitaldurg, Dindigul, Gooty and
Srirangapatna. Madals of different metals like silver,
copper and bronze issued by the English, commemorating
their victory over Tipu are also exhibited.
Among the other exhibits mention may be made the costume
of Tipu, a payjama, a silk coat and a straw hat, two
silver bowels presented by him to the Ranganathaswami
temple, a hand made paper manuscript in Persian dealing
with the military code of regulations, furniture
comprising of chairs, sofa with backrest, couch and a
rosewood roundtable, a brass cannon, daggers, swords,
pistols and muskets besides iron cannons.
Abbe Dubois church
eastern end of the island towards the south is Gumbaz or
Mausoleum. It was built by Tipu Sultan for his parents
between 1782-84 A.D. Later Tipu was buried here on 5th
May 1799 A.D. It is an impressive square tomb chamber
surmounted by brick built dome. Open corridors run black
stone pillars. The carved stone windows and doorways
with ivory inlaid doors are fine workmanship. In the
verandahs and on the platform are housed the Tombs of
Haider's family members. There is also a mosque in the
complex built in Moghal style.
Located in the south of Abbe Dubois Church